These are some quick concept sketches for characters for a hospital I did a while back. The goal was to create two characters that would help remind doctors to observe proper safety/health procedure, such as, wear your head hand and foot protective coverings. I always preferred the stockier guys, but they preferred the lankier ones.
I think its finally safe to post our annual xmas card. This year was suppose to be Heidis year, but I started to doodle around and thought it would be funny to have an alien abduction themed xmas card. She saw it and said we should roll with it so here it is! Oh by the way. We still havent send out 2/3rds of the physical cards, so dont be offended if you didnt get one! At this rate, we might never get them all out!
Here are some things I have been working on that I have yet to show.
Above is something I did over a year ago. There was a brochure that Heidi had retouched, and it had little pictures, maybe 10 or so. The assignment called for this particular thumbnail to be blown up to a printable size, but the original scan was so small that it looked horrible. I was given the task to paint over it to make it look good enough to print. It was quite the job, perhaps the most labor intensive project to date.
I haven’t posted any new art since the last University Club cartoon, that should change soon. Its been very busy lately, with vacations and trips and all, not to mention I had been saving this particular cartoon for the summer newsletter that skips a month. There are only 10 a year. I saved this one for the off month because I knew it would be very difficult, and it was. The rendering itself was pretty smooth, the hardest part was the concept stage, where I spent forever going through several ideas until I found one I liked. The verbiage hasn’t been sent to me, so all you have here is the art! (if your curious, this months topic was aimed at getting people to buy a parking sticker for the back lot to avoid tickets and towing.)
I don’t think I have ever posted my wedding invitation anywhere, so here it is! Basically its a little painting I did of the place Heidi and I got married. There was a field with some nice stone benches. We added the bee’s because we met at the Savannah College of Art and Design, where our mascot was the SCAD Bee!
I have always wanted to write/illustrate a children’s book, and I think I have a pretty good idea. This is the very first concept I have come up with. Without giving everything away, the concept obviously revolves around a girl with very long hair. I wanted to see what the character would look like and I think its ready to move on to a story boarding stage already. That is a caricature/cartoon version of my wife as a child, and I want to stress how this is only a concept! I literally just flopped grass and sky in there to make it have a background, so nothing was thought of it. I am most definitely happy with the character design. Maybe on a book shelf near you some day?
UPDATED – So there is a new animated movie coming out based on Rupunzel, so now I am having second thoughts on doing this. I don’t want to look like I stole the idea.
I already caricatured Conan, but Jimmy Kimmel is by far, at least in my opinion, the best late night host on television. I had to pay my artistic respects to the show. I have tried to caricature him quite a lot over time, and I never got it to look like him. I finally just hunkered down and went to work with the idea that I was going to get it this time, no matter what. I think it worked. I don’t know what style you would call this, its a light paint covering, I suppose it is a water color look, much like my painting of John Doggett. If you don’t count the time it took me trying over and over again in the past to get his likeness, I did this in about an hour or 2 today.
This is a caricature of Mitch Pileggi from one of my wife’s and my favorite show, The X-Files. This is one of my favorite paintings, if not my favorite. Ironically it was one of my quickest, only taking about 30 minutes to complete… or so I thought. I just today got a new monitor, and the colors are very clear. I noticed right away many flaws with the original. Mostly just instances where I thought I was painting with one shade of black, but it turned out to be a lighter shade. Seeing as how the painting is very dark, there was a lot of that going on. I just went over it again to make it all cohesive and it looks much better now. My other pieces seem to be fine, maybe it was just because I went so fast on this. So here it is, the newly refinished “Skinner.”